Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tim Burton: Burying the rabbit hole?



I have a few beefs with the new "Alice in Wonderland" movie. I know, I haven't even seen it yet, but my beefs are fully realized on reasons of principle. Regardless of whether or not I enjoy the film simply for what it is, my arguments remain thus:

1. As a Disney production depicted as a sequel to the 1951 animated feature, it doesn't seem right to change the demeanors of any of the returning characters. One of the most emotionally rattling aspects of the animated original was Alice's difficulties getting anyone in Wonderland to be straight with her, to even regard her at all other than to spew nonsense. Yet, in this sequel, she returns to Wonderland and everyone recognizes her, and even manages to coherently communicate with her. What's changed so much in Wonderland that the Mad Hatter excitedly pronounces, "Alice, you're back"? Remember, this is the same guy who asked the young girl if she'd like some tea, but is too distracted by his own ridiculous goings on to ever let her have a sip.

2. Pajiba was exactly right in this article about breaking up Tim Burton and Johnny Depp (and Helena Bonham Carter for that matter, but of course only as far as movie-making goes; they still make a darling couple). Now, don't get me wrong. I actually believe Depp has marvelous range as an actor, and Burton is among my top five directors. And both those points are exactly why I think their work together is growing tired. When Depp does a Burton film, you can already be pretty certain of what you'll get from him. Furthermore, when Depp does a Burton Disney film, forget it. It's too predictable. An actor with his skills is wasted repeating the same schtick with a different wig. When Burton puts Depp in a film, same thing. I wouldn't change Burton's dark and quirky style for a moment, but what I would do is give him the chance to use it on another, comparable actor. The list of supporting actors in the new "Alice in Wonderland" is one of the draws for me. Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Crispin Glover ... now that's interesting.

3. This goes beyond "Alice in Wonderland," but this 3-D bullcrap has already become too much for me. I watched "Avatar" in 3-D, and you know what? It didn't make the movie anymore worth watching than it would have been otherwise, in fact, it may have made it worse. When there's some out-of-focus object floating out of the picture at the edge of the screen, that doesn't enhance the immersion. At least 3-D films aren't exclusively distributed in 3-D, but the fact that everyone and their grandma is suddenly saying, "Hey, you know what would make this movie better? 3-D," we're roaming into negligible territory. While the visual aspect of "Alice" may lend itself to 3-D viewing, it doesn't change the fact that it's contributing to a huge pandering-to-an-imaginary-demographic problem. There, I said it.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it Helena Bonham Carter? I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sick of 3-D. It doesn't make the movie better, and quite honestly, it hurts my eyes! I don't get the fascination that everyone seems to have with it. And what is this "Real-D" crap that I hear about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. The animated Alice was so random, and she was such an outsider. To have her as this "savior" character is so very much against what I remember. Perhaps they're going for something from the novels, I don't know at this point. I will say this, though. At some point the Burton/Depp/Bonham Carter trio has become less of an exotic cinematic ménage à trois and more of a phone-captured circlejerk behind the 7-11. I want that combination to be the occasional and sought after treat, not something forced and to be expected...and this is feeling very forced to me in the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, name fixed! My head was elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! "...phone captured circle-jerk..."

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyzz, the interesting thing is that I don't think anyone actually has a fascination with 3-D. It's a false perception of the industry to try to be fresh and relevant. They're misreading the public's desires as a justification to make use of their access to advanced technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think in certain situations, it can be "neat", but other than Coraline and the computer displays in Avatar it's not really made me think it was all that awesome. The slightly-off areas at the edges make it more weird then a benefit. Maybe that's because I wear glasses? I'm a lot more interested in 3D as an enhancement for games than I am for movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I also wonder if the glasses are robbing me of the 3-D experience shared by the optically superior. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so going to see this but I can't get "Chronicles of Narnia" out of my head after watching the trailer. I swear I saw the white witch.

    ReplyDelete